Thursday, 19 May 2016

Author Interview: BS Dunn

Here's the first in a series of interviews with fellow western authors.

My first guest is BS Dunn, a pseudonym of Australian writer Brent Towns. We've become good friends recently thanks to the Internet and it was my pleasure to let such a nice guy be my first interviewee.

To say he is a prolific writer, with a passion for westerns is an understatement. His books are always fast paced with lots of action and plenty of attention to detail with regard to characters, who are many and varied, and backdrop. And I should know, since I've read them all, except for his latest which is calling loudly to me from my TBR pile. Being with Crowood Press, I'm sure, will only make BS Dunn better and better and reward him with the recognition he deserves.

So, enjoy...

Tell us who you are.
My name is Brent Towns, I live in a small country town called Benalla in Australia and I have a wonderful wife (Sam) and a fantastic son (Jacob). However I may be a little biased.

How many books have you written?
I have written 6 books that are published and have 3 waiting to be published.

What is the name of your latest release, what’s it about and what inspired it?
The name of my latest release is “Fury at Bent Fork”. I can't say any one thing inspired it except maybe my love of everything western. I guess that is the only inspiration I need. However I do have a manuscript waiting publication that was inspired by an old black and white movie (Four Fast Guns) and I can say that that would be the first time that one thing in particular has.  

Who is it published by and where can we buy it?
It is published through The Crowood Press and is available through their website or it can be purchased through Amazon.com/Amazon.co.uk, etc.

What’s your latest writing project?
My latest writing project is called “The Road to Purgatory” and it is the fourth book in the Laramie Davis series. These books are for German publisher Edition Barenklau.
 
What unusual writing ritual do you have?
I don't think I really have any. Sometimes I listen to music but that's about as unusual as I get. 

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve heard about writing westerns?
Don't be afraid to try. Do your research, plan what you want to write and just do it. Push all your doubts aside.
If you have any questions ask. There are a lot of experienced authors out there who are willing to pass on advice to help out. 

How many books do you generally read in a month and what are you reading now?
I used to read three or four books per week but now with my writing taking up a lot of time if I get two read then it's a good week.  

What authors or books have inspired you and why?
There are too many to name. But if I had to pick just one it would be Louis L'Amour and as for why I think the name speaks for itself.

Which of your books would you recommend to a first time reader?
Fury at Bent Fork

If you were stranded on a desert island, which book, song and film would you like to have with you?
Why would you be so mean as to let me only have one book?

Seriously, it would be a toss up between Louis L'Amour's, Shalako, Last at Stand at Papago Wells, and Kid Rodelo. I chose those because I think they were basically the first of his books that I read and set me on the L'Amour path.

As for a song, music I can live with or without so I would probably just torture myself with my own singing.

If I had to choose one movie out of all the great ones that are out there I would choose “How The West Was Won”. This was the first movie I saw on a big screen at my school and it was shown using an old film projector with those big old reels.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.


No, thank you for the opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jo and Brent for an illuminating interview. Westerns are in a resurgence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice to learn a little something about the man behind the westerns, and who is in my opinion the genre's new rising star.

    ReplyDelete