Thursday, 12 May 2016

Book Review: Old Guns by Ross Morton


Sam Ransom, broadsided by the death of his old partner Abner, learns of a note left by the dead man - warning that the infamous Meak twins are after Ransom's life because of what happened at Bur Oak Springs over two decades ago. Ransom knows he must alert the rest of his gang, who were there at the time. His family is in jeopardy and their only hope of salvation is the gang's return to confront the Meak brothers...


I've only read one other Ross Morton western The $300 Man which I thoroughly enjoyed so I was pleased when I saw this in the library (especially in large print, which is always good for bedtime reading).

Set between two time frames, it tells the story of old friends brought together by an event from the past. I struggled with this a bit because I'm usually tired when I go to bed to read, but that just made me go to bed earlier as I didn't want to miss any detail. Morton pays such close attention to this, weaving in everything as he goes, that it would be easy to do and a shame.

It seemed to have a large cast of characters, many of whom were women who were integral to the story, which made a change when reading a western. Even so, I felt like I got to know them all, especially their aches and pains, which resonated with me. I really enjoyed the added danger element but won't say what that is so as not to spoil anything. I will say there are a couple of nice twists at the end, one of which I saw coming but still made me think 'ha!'.

All in all, another good story from a master storyteller and a reminder that I need to seek out some more books by this author. I notice on Amazon that he only has listings for hardcover and large print. This reader would love to see some of these titles in e-book format (hint hint). If they're out there already, I'm sure some kind soul will let me know.

Morton is also the author of how to book Write A Western In 30 Days: With Plenty of Bullet Points! (as Nik Morton). If you're an aspiring writer, or just want to see how it all comes together, I highly recommend this.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, Jo. I'm pleased that you liked it, as I really wanted to write a 'different' western; another 'different' one is The Magnificent Mendozas, which is homage to The Magnificent Seven! And thanks for the plug regarding Write a Western. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete