Sunday, 17 July 2016

Book review: The Drygulch Trail by Ned Oaks



When Will Curtis rides into Junction City on a cold, rainy night, all he wants is a shot of whiskey and a place to dry off. Instead, he finds himself dragged into a feud between a land-hungry banker and the tough homesteaders who are desperate to keep their ranches. But when rich bully Clem Dawson brings in hired guns to force the ranchers off their land, Curtis decides there is only one thing a decent man could do under the circumstances - and that is to fight. He must keep his wits about him and his pistol handy as he rides The Drygulch Trail.

This is the first book I've read by Ned Oaks and I have to say I'm now a fan. I very much enjoyed the writing style and am happy to report that I noticed no typos whatsoever, which seems to be a rarity these days.

The story starts off quickly and then never lets up. The action is realistic and although it is often drawn out to give maximum impact, I never found myself getting bogged down. The pacing was very good. Also, the characters were well balanced and expertly drawn, even the female character whose part wasn't the main focus but was memorable. I found the hero Will Curtis to be believable and likeable, someone I'd like to read about again.

This has now moved to the top of my favourite books read pile. I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on another Black Horse Western by Ned Oaks.

If you'd like to know more about this author and his writing, you can read an interview here.

1 comment: