Monday, 22 August 2016

Author Interview: Matt Cole

This week I'm handing my blog over to author and fellow Black Horse Western stablemate Matt Cole.

Please tell us a little about yourself.

I am a single dad. I have wanted to be a writer since the 7th grade.  For the past 7 years I have been teaching English courses at the college level. I have taught at the University of Tampa, Hillsborough Community College, State College of Florida, Colorado Technical University, Ashford University and others.

How many books have you written?

I have written and published 14 books. The genres are Western, Historical Mystery, Horror, nonfiction and a children’s book.

Do you write under any other names?

Matthew L. Cole and Matt Cole only.


What is your latest release called, what’s it about and what inspired it?

Shadow Peak – inspired by all the past great Westerns.

Who is the publisher and where can we buy it?

Robert Hale/ Black Horse Westerns.

What’s your latest writing project?

Working another Western tentatively titled “Gunpowder Empire”.

Do you have any unusual writing rituals?

Not really, I write at different times as my schedule is always changing.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve heard about writing westerns?

They have to be based in truth, history, and be believable.

What advice would you give to a would-be western writer?

Read nonfiction about the West, read Westerns and make them feel like they could have really happened.

How many books do you generally read in a month and what are you reading now?

Depends on the month and the time, but at least 2 and in good months many more…can never read enough…last book I read was the Scott Eyman’s “John Wayne: The Life and Legend”.

Is there one book or author you’ve read that inspired you to write westerns and, if so, why?

Louis L’Amour – I have read just about every book he wrote. He is the master of pacing, dialogue and Western stories.

Which western(s) would you recommend to a first time reader? Why?

Shane…any Louis L’Amour…Shane is the best Western of all time and as I already mentioned about L’Amour…

If you could go anywhere at any time- past, present or future - where would that be and why?

I would love to see the old West towns of Dodge, Tombstone, Abilene, etc., when they were at their best and worst…just to experience that time for myself.


Thank you and good luck with your current and future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment