Saturday, 13 August 2016

Book review: Dead Man's Eyes by Derek Rutherford

Ex-train robber Jim Jackson is fresh out of the tough Texas Convict Leasing System where brutal guards beat all of the courage out of him. Now good for nothing - except drinking - Jackson is known as 'Junk' by the townsfolk of Parker's Crossing. But Jackson has one thing going for him - he is the fastest gun that the Texas Rangers have ever seen. When a series of violent murders terrify the people of Parker's Crossing, it is to 'Junk' Jackson they turn. But can Jackson find the courage to take on the killers? And who is the mysterious stranger with new information about the slaying that put Jackson into the prison system in the first place?

Derek Rutherford is one of my favourite authors and never disappoints. His writing is well polished and his plots are exciting and packed with detail, action, worthy characters and emotion.

The title of this book intrigued me, to say the least. The fact that it isn't explained until the end of the story didn't bother me in the slightest. I was far too busy rooting for Jim, Amos, Rose, Joe and others caught up in the devious plot of worthy bad guys. I loved and hated the various characters in the extensive cast and easily got caught up in their troubles. And that's down to Mr Rutherford's obvious understanding and appreciation of detail. This isn't a story that throws a few stereotypical cast members together and let's them shamble about. Each one is carefully written with as much colour as they require and it's easy to get behind them. Even a walk-on player who met their demise in an understated way, left me feeling sad.

As you can guess, I'm definitely recommending this book, although I do have a bone to pick with Mr Rutherford who seemlessly left the ending open for a sequel. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

Buy it now, is my advice. At 99p for the Kindle version, you've got absolutely nothing to lose and plenty to enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. You've made me want to hunt through my collection for this one Jo.

    ReplyDelete