Thursday, 12 January 2017

Read and reviewed: Rimrock Renegade by Ned Oaks

Hank Chesham spent five years in a New Mexico prison, convicted of a crime he didn't commit. When he was finally released, he only wanted to return home to his ranch, the Rimrock, and resume his old life. But then he discovered that he had been betrayed by both his wife, Phoebe, and his best friend, Ted Flynn, who had conspired to steal the Rimrock from him. Now Chesham has but one thing on his mind: vengeance. Before he can take action, however, Flynn unleashes some of his hired killers and nearly succeeds in murdering the Rimrock's real owner. Chesham barely survives after he is secretly nursed back to health by his former wife's sister, Mandy. They decide to make a future together. Back in fighting shape, Chesham takes the fight to Ted Flynn, and he will stop at nothing until he brings his enemies to their knees and reclaims what is rightfully his.

I’ve read all of Ned Oaks’ Black Horse Westerns and I admit that he is still one of my favourite authors. This one has been sitting on my Kindle since it was released November 2016 and it has taken me until now to get to it. I’m happy to say, it didn’t disappoint me.

Heavily populated with a good mix of characters, it moves along at a breakneck pace, being action-packed from start to finish. It is violent in places but this is well described, not sanitized but not overly gory, which is what you expect with a Black Horse Western. Although Hank Chesham is a man wronged, I admit that I found myself losing sympathy for him as the body count started to rise. However, by the end of the book as I settled into his psyche, I was rooting for him. The ending didn’t quite ring true for me based on the lead up but, all in all, it was satisfying and didn’t detract from my enjoyment.

I’ll definitely be looking out for more by this author.

If you'd like to find out more about Ned Oaks, you can read an interview with him here.

Available from Amazon, The Crowood Press and other good booksellers.

1 comment: